Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John
Hoppin’ John is traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day. Eating it as the first meal of the day is supposed to ensure health and prosperity for the coming year.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 5 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight in water to cover
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) tomatoes
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Place all ingredients into a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.