Vegan Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
This soup is made with canned tomatoes, which allows you to enjoy the taste of summer an time of year.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced fresh basil
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Sauté onion for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker, add tomatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, and salt. Cover and cook over low heat 4 hours. Allow to cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf. Process the soup in a blender or immersion blender until smooth with some chunks. Return the soup to the slow cooker, then add the soy milk; heat on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with a small sprig of fresh basil and freshly ground black pepper.