Vegan Spice Cake
An old-fashioned favorite, this spice cake will conjure warm, comfy feelings and memories of Grandma’s kitchen.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup soymilk
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 cup softened vegan margarine, divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- Egg replacement equal to 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Please try again later.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine soymilk and vinegar in a small bowl, whisking to blend. Set aside for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, cream ¾ cup margarine, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg replacement, sour cream, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract on low speed until blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves together. Gradually add to wet ingredients, one third at a time, beating on low speed for 30 seconds each time, or until well incorporated. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1½ minutes.
- Divide batter between 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
- To make cream cheese icing, add cream cheese and remaining ¼ cup margarine to a large bowl. Beat together on medium speed until blended. Add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar and continue to beat until smooth.
- Cool cake 10–15 minutes in the pans. Run a knife around the edges to loosen and remove from pans. Cool completely. Place one cake on the serving platter and spread 1 cup of Cream Cheeze Frosting over the top. Place the second cake on top and frost with the remaining frosting. Lightly sprinkle remaining cinnamon on top of iced cake.