Vegan Sugar Cookies
Crispy with just the right amount of sweetness, these cookies are sure to delight! Decorating these cookies is a snap. Lightly press decorating or sanding sugar onto the top of the cookie dough before it is baked; or after they’re baked and cooled, paint with cookie icing.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. soy milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine and sugar. Beat in the egg replacement, vanilla extract, and soy milk. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Divide dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and flatten into a 6-inch disk with the palm of your hand.
- Chill dough 2 to 3 hours. Roll each dough ball to a 1⁄4 inch thickness on a floured surface and cut out with your favorite cookie cutters. Keep each ball of dough refrigerated until you are ready to use it.
- Place at least 1 inch apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Leave cookies on baking sheet for 1 minute and then transfer to wire racks.