Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits
Light, fluffy, and slightly sweet, these biscuits are a great addition to your vegan Thanksgiving table. Serve them warm with vegan margarine, or use to dip in your favorite stews.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ⅔ cup soymilk
- 2 tsp. lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. vegan margarine, cold and cut into pieces
- ¾ cup mashed cooked sweet potato, cold
- 3 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine soymilk and lemon juice in a measuring cup and allow to sit for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or large fork, cut cold margarine into the mixture until it forms pea-sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sweet potato and soymilk mixture. Combine wet ingredients with flour mixture until just mixed. Knead slightly to shape into a disk, then pat dough to a 1" thickness. Using a 2" biscuit cutter or the rim of a drinking glass, cut dough into rounds and place 2" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops with melted margarine.
- Bake 22–24 minutes, or until golden brown.