Vegan TVP–Stuffed Peppers
This is a great way to use up any leftover rice. Top with a bit of grated vegan cheese, if you’d like.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 6 large bell peppers
- ¾ cup TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)
- ¾ cup hot vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- ⅔ cup diced mushrooms
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and spray a 9" × 13" casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- Slice the tops off the bell peppers and remove their inner seeds and membranes.
- Combine the TVP and vegetable broth and allow to sit for 6–7 minutes to rehydrate. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, celery, and mushrooms; cook until the onions are soft and mushrooms are browned, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add cooked rice, TVP, parsley, oregano, salt, and 1½ cup marinara sauce. Heat just until combined.
- Stuff mixture into bell peppers, place in the prepared casserole dish, and spoon a bit of the remaining sauce on top of each pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until peppers are cooked.