Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
This traditional flavor, yummy in its own right, is easily paired with other flavorings!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. soy milk, divided
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1 cup soy milk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until 3⁄4 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, cream shortening and margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Beat in remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract and remaining 1 tablespoon soy milk until light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.