Vegan Walnut Blondies
Many blondie recipes call for vanilla extract, but the almond extract in this recipe gives this sweet treat a wonderful warm, rich flavor you’re going to love.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 4 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix ¼ cup flour with water in a medium saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture has a thick, paste-like consistency. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Whisk together remaining flour and baking powder and set aside.
- With a wooden spoon, beat sugars, salt, and almond extract into the cooked flour mixture. Add the melted margarine and mix well. Then stir in the dry flour mixture. Fold in ¾ cup walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly in a lightly greased 8" × 8" pan. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts on top and bake for 20–25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.