Vegan Walnut Blondies
Many blondie recipes call for vanilla extract, but the almond extract in this recipe gives this sweet treat a wonderful warm, rich flavor you’re going to love.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. almond extract
- 4 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix 1⁄4 cup flour with water in a medium saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture has a thick, paste-like consistency. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Whisk together remaining flour and baking powder and set aside.
- With a wooden spoon, beat sugars, salt, and almond extract into the cooked flour mixture. Add the melted margarine and mix well. Then stir in the dry flour mixture. Fold in 3⁄4 cup walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly in a lightly greased 8-inch square pan. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts on top and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.