Vegan White Bean Chili
This hearty warm-up goes especially well with cornbread and a tall glass of lemonade.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped yellow bell peppers
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ground ancho chili pepper or ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 chipotle in adobo, chopped
- 4 tsp. ground cumin, toasted briefly in a dry pan
- 1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes, roughly chopped, juice included
- 3 cans (16 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onions, carrots, bell peppers, and salt; cook 15 minutes over medium heat, until the onions are soft. Add the garlic, jalapeños, ancho, chipotle, and cumin; cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, and tomato juice. Simmer about 45 minutes. Serve hot.