Vegan White Bread
Making bread from scratch is so satisfying, even this basic sandwich bread will feel like a reward for all the hard work!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, warm (110° to 115°F)
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening, melted but not hot
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Stir in shortening, salt, and 1 cup of flour. Beat in remaining flour, 1⁄2 cup at a time. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area. Allow dough to rise for 1 1⁄2 hours until doubled. Punch down, turn onto a lightly floured surface, and shape to fit a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Place loaf in greased loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise another 30 to 40 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.