Vegan White Bread
Making bread from scratch is so satisfying, even this basic sandwich bread will feel like a reward for all the hard work!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ Tbsp. sugar
- 2¼ tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1¼ cups water, warm (110°–115°F)
- 1½ Tbsp. vegetable shortening, melted but not hot
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 3¼ cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Stir in shortening, salt, and 1 cup of flour. Beat in remaining flour, ½ cup at a time. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8–10 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area. Allow dough to rise for 1½ hours until doubled. Punch down, turn onto a lightly floured surface, and shape to fit a 9" × 5" loaf pan. Place loaf in greased loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise another 30–40 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 25–30 minutes.