Vegan White Lasagna with Spinach
Feel free to dream of Italian opera houses or old Tuscany while savoring this chic cashew-butter lasagna by candlelight and listening to Pavarotti.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ medium onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed and pressed to remove moisture
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 block (14 oz.) firm tofu, crumbled
- ¾ cup almond butter
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 Tbsp. miso
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 package (12 oz.) lasagna noodles
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 4–5 minutes, and add spinach and salt, stirring to combine well and cooking just until spinach is heated through. Add crumbled tofu and mix well. Allow to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the almond butter, soy milk, miso, soy sauce, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and onion powder until smooth and creamy.
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package instructions, if needed, and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a lightly greased lasagna pan, place a thin layer of cashew sauce and then a layer of noodles. Next add spinach and more sauce, then a layer of noodles, continuing until all ingredients are used up. The top layer should be spinach and then sauce.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving to allow lasagna to set.