Vegan White Lasagna with Spinach
Feel free to dream of Italian opera houses or old Tuscany while savoring this chic cashew-butter lasagna by candlelight and listening to Pavarotti.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed and pressed to remove moisture
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 block (14 oz.) firm tofu, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup almond butter
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 Tbsp. miso
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 package (12 oz.) lasagna noodles
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes, and add spinach and salt, stirring to combine well and cooking just until spinach is heated through. Add crumbled tofu and mix well. Allow to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the almond butter, soy milk, miso, soy sauce, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and onion powder until smooth and creamy.
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package instructions, if needed, and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a lightly greased lasagna pan, place a thin layer of cashew sauce and then a layer of noodles. Next add spinach and more sauce, then a layer of noodles, continuing until all ingredients are used up. The top layer should be spinach and then sauce.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving to allow lasagna to set.