Vegan Whole-Wheat Rolls
Hearty, good-for-you whole wheat gives these rolls a bit of fiber and extra nutrients! The all-purpose flour helps to keep them light and tender.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 1⁄2 tsp. active dry yeast (2 packets)
- 1⁄4 cup water, warm (110°F–115°F)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 3 1⁄2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, divided
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole-wheat flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Warm soy milk in a small saucepan until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegan margarine, sugar, and salt. Cool.
- Pour the cooled yeast mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the milk mixture and flours. Mix until dough comes together. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Place plastic wrap over exposed surface of dough and place bowl in a warm area. Allow dough to rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down a few times and turn out onto a floured surface. Divide into 12 equal pieces. Form each piece into a roll shape and place in a lightly greased 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons margarine and brush on the tops of the rolls. Cover and let rise for another 40 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.