Vegan Whoopie Pies
While some folks can’t agree whether to call these cakes or cookies, everyone agrees to call them delicious!
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegan margarine, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- Egg replacement to equal 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp. soy creamer
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stir together soy milk and vinegar in a small bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl until combined.
- Beat together 1⁄2 cup margarine and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed for about 3 minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Then add egg replacement and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, beating until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and soy milk mixture alternately, in batches, until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, as needed. Scoop 1⁄8-cup mounds of batter onto a greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- To make filling, cream shortening and remaining 1⁄4 cup margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Beat in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and soy creamer until light and fluffy.
- Once cakes are cool, turn 10 cakes with the flat sides up and spread with filling. Top with plain cakes. Wrap each cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.