Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
My mom made this when I was a child. It's a kid-friendly, hearty soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 pound beef stew meat, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 each green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups tomato juice, (like V-8), or tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add stew meat, salt and pepper. Brown for about 3 minutes. Add onions, carrots, celery, green pepper and potatoes. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomato juice and oregano. Stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and add barley. Simmer for 1 hour.