Vegetable-Beef Barley Stew
This amount of meat adds rich flavor without increasing the cholesterol or saturated-fat content of the stew.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 9 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ lb. beef round steak
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth, divided
- 2 stalks celery, sliced in 1" pieces
- 4 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 package (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¾ cup hulled barley
- Trim beef and cut into 1" pieces. Sprinkle with flour and paprika and toss to coat. In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add beef; brown beef, stirring occasionally, for about 5–6 minutes. Remove to 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add onions to skillet along with ½ cup beef broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet, for 3–4 minutes. Add to slow cooker along with remaining broth, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, green beans, water, marjoram, bay leaf, salt, pepper and barley.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 hours, or until barley and vegetables are tender. Stir, remove bay leaf, and serve immediately.