These patties are crunchy, savory, and full of flavor.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil on low heat. Sauté the peppers and onions until very tender, about 15 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Place the carrot, mashed potatoes, eggs, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the peppers and onions to the bowl, and mix well. The mixture should be thick. Place in refrigerator for several hours, or even overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring mixture to room temperature before cooking. When ready, form patties using about 1⁄4 cup of vegetable mixture for each patty. Dip each patty in cornmeal.
- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the patties 3 or 4 at a time, browning on both sides. Add more oil as needed. Serve hot.