Vegetable Egg Rolls (Po Pia Tod)
Egg rolls can be made with or without meat. Once made, the rolls can be frozen for up to six months. When you are ready to fry them, drop the frozen egg rolls into hot oil without thawing.
Serves: 30Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup dried fungus mushrooms, soaked
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups bean thread noodles, soaked for 30 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. plus 4 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. tapioca flour
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 30 egg roll wrappers
- In a mixing bowl, mix together cabbage, celery, soaked fungus mushrooms, ground pepper, soy sauce, sugar, and bean thread noodles. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Fry the garlic until aromatic, about 10 seconds, add the egg and fry until slightly firm, and then scramble. Add the noodle mixture and stir-fry until cooked and well seasoned, about 3–5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix the tapioca flour with 2 tablespoons water and heat in the microwave for 30–40 seconds to make a paste.
- Lay a sheet of egg roll wrapper on a counter, with one of the corners pointing toward you. Place 2 tablespoons of the filling at the corner closest to you. Roll the filling up to halfway. Fold in the two corners on the side and roll up to meet with the top corner. Glue with tapioca paste.
- Heat the 4 cups oil in a deep frying pan to 350°F. Deep-fry each egg roll for 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.