Vegetable Juice for Canning
This is a healthy beverage that can be canned and drunk just like you would commercial vegetable drinks. It can also be frozen.
Makes: 6 quartsHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 6 quarts
- 15 lbs. fresh ripe tomatoes, cut up
- 1 small yellow, orange, or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated horseradish root
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Put all ingredients in a nonreactive pot; simmer 45 minutes. Stir periodically.
- Put entire blend through a sieve or juicer to remove any fibers, skins, and seeds. Repeat to get a fine consistency. Return to pan; boil. Pour liquid into hot quart jars, leaving ½" headspace.
- Process in hot-water canner 30 minutes. Let cool, then test lids.