Be sure to thaw the phyllo according to package directions to make this classic Greek dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 package (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 8 sheets (9 by 14 inches) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 6 Tbsp. wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. In large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 4 minutes longer. Add spinach and tomatoes; cook and stir until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes longer. Remove from heat and place filling in large bowl; let cool.
- Add pepper, dill, ricotta, egg whites, and mozzarella and feta cheeses to filling and mix well. In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil with butter.
- Place a sheet of phyllo dough into prepared pan, letting edges hang over pan. Brush with some of the olive oil mixture and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon wheat germ. Layer four more sheets of phyllo on top, alternately spraying with cooking spray and brushing with olive oil mixture; top with wheat germ. Top with filling.
- Fold edges of dough over filling. Top with remaining phyllo, brushing with olive oil mixture; tuck in edges. Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.