Vegetarian Beet Crust Pizza
When it comes to weeknight meals, you can’t “beet” this brightly colored pizza!
Serves: 4Prep: 2 hours 30 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup water (100°F-110°F), divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon active-dry yeast
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup beets, cooked and pureed
- 1⁄4 cup pesto
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup asparagus, trimmed and cut into 4” pieces, blanched
- 3⁄4 cup baby arugula, plus more for topping
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup olives, sliced, if desired
- In a medium bowl, combine ¼ cup warm water, sugar and yeast; let sit 8 minutes, until foamy.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Pour in yeast mixture and remaining ¼ cup water. Mix in olive oil and beets until dough comes together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. If dough is sticky, add 1 tablespoon flour at a time until smooth. Form dough into ball.
- Spray bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let sit in warm area 1½-2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly grease piece of parchment paper. On parchment paper, roll out dough to fit about 12”. Place on pizza pan; bake 10-15 minutes.
- Top crust with pesto, goat cheese, asparagus, ¾ cup arugula, tomatoes and/or olives. Arrange asparagus on top. Bake 5-8 minutes. Top with additional arugula if desired.