Vegetarian Black Bean Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers
You can still enjoy cheaper and healthier options without skimping on taste. These Vegetarian Black Bean Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers are so hearty and full of flavor that you won't even miss the meat!
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) corn, drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese (omit to make this dish vegan)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro (optional topping)
- Avocado, diced (optional topping)
- Shredded cheese (optional topping)
- Sour cream (optional topping)
- Salsa (optional topping)
- Add rinsed quinoa and vegetable broth to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish that will fit 6 bell peppers.
- Cut the tops off of each bell pepper and remove seeds. Place peppers on the prepared baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cooked quinoa, canned beans, vegetables and spices. Stir ¾ cup cheese into the quinoa mixture, but reserve about ¼ cup for the top of the peppers.
- Spoon quinoa filling into the peppers and loosely cover with foil. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes and remove foil. Top with reserved cheese and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and peppers are soft and slightly browned.
- To serve, spoon on desired toppings or eat as-is. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for 2-3 days.