Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls
This is an impressive dish that takes just a small amount of time and some patience while rolling cabbage leaves.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 oz. firm tofu
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ½ large red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. ground paprika
- 8 boiled Napa cabbage leaves
- 6 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 oz. water
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drain the tofu and dice into small pieces. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan. Add the garlic and red onion. Sauté until the onion is tender. Crumble the tofu into the frying pan. Add the tomatoes and green pepper, mashing the tomatoes with a spatula to break them up slightly. Stir in the ground cumin and paprika.
- Lay a cabbage leaf flat on the counter. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of filling in the middle (the exact amount needed will depend on the size of the cabbage leaf). Roll up the bottom, tuck in the sides, and continue rolling up to the top. Place the roll in the baking dish, with the seamed section on the bottom.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, water, white vinegar, and sugar. Pour over the cabbage rolls. Place the dish in the oven and bake the cabbage rolls for 45 minutes.