Vegetarian Caesar Salad
This vegetarian version of the classic salad is delicious with any meal.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup croutons
- In a mixing bowl or food processor, combine the egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, and garlic. Vigorously whisk or process in the oil, starting just a drop at a time and gradually drizzling it in a small stream until all is emulsified into a smooth mayonnaise. Stir in the cheese, cayenne, salt and pepper, and a little extra lemon if desired. Dressing may be made up to 1 week in advance.
- Place the lettuce and croutons in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Divide onto 8 plates, arranging croutons on top.