Vegetarian Chop Suey
Instead of adding the cashews in the final stages of cooking, you can stir-fry them separately. Stir-fry 1 minute, taking care not to burn the cashews, and then remove from the pan. Add the cashews to the chop suey just before serving.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 thin slices ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 package (14 oz.) frozen stir-fry vegetable mix
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine vegetable broth and soy sauce. Whisk in cornstarch.
- Heat a wok or medium skillet over medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking. Add oil. When oil is hot, add sliced ginger and stir-fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add onion. Stir-fry onion until it begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add stir-fry vegetable mix. Stir-fry according to package directions or until vegetables are tender but still crisp.
- Add mung bean sprouts and salt. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Add vegetable broth mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring continually. Stir in cashews and sugar. Add black pepper. Serve hot.