Vegetarian Eggplant Bacon, Tomato and Lettuce Sandwiches
A smoky, seasoned oil transforms thinly sliced eggplant into a plant-based bacon alternative.
Serves: 6Prep: 25 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 small eggplant, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
- 12 slices bread, toasted
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 leaves leaf lettuce
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven 300°F. Line baking pans with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, soy sauce, syrup, smoked paprika and liquid smoke; set aside.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil mixture. On prepared baking sheets, arrange slices in a single layer.
- Bake 35 minutes, turning pans occasionally, until eggplant is slightly crispy on edges.
- Over half the bread slices, layer an even amount of mayo, lettuce, tomatoes and eggplant. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread.