Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Vidalia onions are a sweet variety of onion that work particularly well in French Onion Soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 large Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and cook the onions until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, pour the sautéed vegetables, thyme, red wine, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- While the soup is cooking, preheat the oven to the broiler setting. Lightly toast the slices of French bread.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a broiler-safe bowl, place a slice of the toasted French bread on top of the soup, put a slice of the Swiss cheese on top of the bread, and place the soup under the broiler until the cheese has melted.