Vegetarian Herb Strudel
For a vegan version of this strudel, brush the layers of phyllo dough with some canola oil instead of melted butter.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup chopped yellow summer squash
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 sheets (15" × 9") frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 4 minutes.
- Add carrot, green bell pepper, cabbage, and squash; cook and stir 4 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and thyme; cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 4 to 7 minutes longer. Remove from heat and add parsley; mix well. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo dough on work surface; brush with butter. Repeat layers, brushing all but the top layer with butter. Arrange vegetables on long side, leaving about 1" border on all sides.
- Roll up dough, enclosing vegetables. Place on cookie sheet and brush with remaining butter. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Cut into 4 pieces to serve.