Vegetarian Kale and Feta Pie
Pie is a perfectly acceptable dinner when it’s packed with nutrient dense kale and yummy feta.
Serves: 6Prep: 50 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bag (16 oz.) Kale
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil. Cook onions and garlic 3 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add kale; continue cooking 5 to 7 minutes, until wilted. Transfer to towel-lined plate; allow to cool. Squeeze kale to remove excess liquid.
- In mixing bowl, combine kale mixture, feta, eggs, parmesan, dill, lemon zest and nutmeg.
- Brush 9” pie plate with melted butter and line with a sheet of phyllo dough. Brush dough with butter, top with another sheet, offset to cover all sides of the pie plate. Repeat 2 more times to create 4 layers of phyllo.
- Press kale filling into pie plate. Cover with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing butter between each piece. Fold dough edges toward center of pie.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown. Allow to cool 10 minutes before cutting.