If you prefer, you can substitute other greens for the kale in this recipe, such as spinach or escarole.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. whole-grain lasagna noodles
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup cooked red lentils
- 1 cup steamed kale
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a slow boil. Partially cook the pasta in boiling water for approximately 4 minutes, then shock in ice water.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté the eggplant, garlic, and shallots in the oil until soft.
- Ladle enough sauce into a large baking pan to coat the bottom. Layer pasta sheets over the sauce, then top with layers of lentils, kale, eggplant mixture, cheese, and pepper. Ladle sauce over the top. Repeat layering until the pan is almost full, finishing with a top layer of pasta, sauce, and cheese.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.