Vegetarian Low-Fat Split Pea Soup
Unlike dried beans, split peas require no presoaking, so you can assemble this dish any morning and enjoy dinner later in the day. Split peas are high in iron and magnesium, low in fat and sodium, and high in fiber and protein, making this an energy-boosting, metabolism-maintaining, healthy blood-building bowl of goodness.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 7 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, and diced
- 1 lb. (2¼ cups) dry green split peas, rinsed
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover, set to high, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and serve hot.