Vegetarian Muffuletta Party Sandwich
The real star of a muffuletta sandwich is the olive salad that’s generously piled on top. This version swaps out the traditional meats for grilled and roasted vegetables, making it a hearty vegetarian sandwich.
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into ¼” rounds
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into ¼” planks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 loaf (12-16 oz.) ciabatta bread, split in half lengthwise
- 6 slices smoked provolone cheese
- 1 jar (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup Murray's® Muffuletta Salad
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Brush eggplant and zucchini slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill 5-8 minutes, flipping once, until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- To assemble the sandwich, layer the bottom half of the bread with roasted red peppers, eggplant, zucchini, cheese and muffuletta salad. Press top half of the loaf down firmly to compress the sandwich.
- Cut into 8 pieces.
- Refrigerate leftovers.