Vegetarian Quinoa–Black Bean Cakes
These are so light and tasty that they can be made with a green salad for an entrée or even served as an appetizer.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 cup wheat-free bread crumbs
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green pepper and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onion, and tomatoes, and continue to sauté until soft, about 3–4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, combine with beans, quinoa, cilantro, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Place in food processor and pulse until chunky but not completely smooth.
- Add the beaten egg white and mix well. Form into patties and dredge in bread crumbs. Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté patties at least 5 minutes on each side.