The Sancocho you know and love goes vegetarian in this dish and it’s just as flavorful as the original. Make this stew in less than an hour for a filling and comforting meal.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) peeled tomatoes
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- 2 plantains, sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté yellow onion, carrots and celery in olive oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they lose their liquid.
- Add vegetable stock, potatoes, plantains, tomatoes, corn and peas. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the soup has thickened. Refrigerate leftovers.