Vegetarian Slow Cooker Puttanesca Sauce
Use olive brine, the juice from canned olives, in place of the anchovies found in a traditional puttanesca sauce.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 jar (5.75 oz.) pimento-stuffed green olives, brine reserved
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. nonpareil-sized capers, drained
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until soft, about 3–4 minutes.
- Tip the softened garlic and onion into a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in the olives, 1 tablespoon of olive brine, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and capers.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. If the sauce looks too loose at the end of the cooking time, remove the lid and cook on high for 30 minutes, or until thickened before serving.