Vegetarian Stuffed Onions
Sweet and savory stuffed onions are a classic comfort food. This recipe is inspired by a classic French stuffed onion.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium Spanish onions
- 3 tsp. butter, divided
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cut the top ¼ of the onions off and reserve. Cut the roots off, but leave the root core in to hold the onion together. Peel the skins. Blanch the onions in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes. Scoop out the insides, using a melon-ball scoop or spoon, leaving ⅓" walls. Chop the scooped insides, and sauté them in 1 teaspoon of the butter.
- Melt the remaining 2 teaspoons of butter in a skillet; add the shallots. Cook over medium heat until they are translucent, about 5 minutes; add the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms have wilted, and most liquid has evaporated; add the wine, cook to almost dry. Remove from heat; add the chopped parsley. Season well with salt and pepper. Combine the mushroom mixture with the chopped onion insides, and fill into the onion shells. Place in a small buttered baking dish, top each onion with cheese, and replace the onion tops. Pour the vegetable stock into the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, basting once. Remove the lid halfway through to allow the onions to brown.