Vegetarian Walnut Lentil Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash
An Instant Pot makes cooking this plant-based version of spaghetti and meatballs a breeze.
Serves: 4Prep: 25 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Dry Green Lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup walnuts
- 6 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 jar (24 oz.) marinara sauce, heated
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- On Instant Pot, select SAUTE function. Heat 1 tablespoon oil; add onions and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until onions are slightly softened. Add vinegar, lentils, broth and salt. Twist lid to seal.
- Select MANUAL function; cook 15 minutes. Allow to naturally depressurize 10 minutes before carefully releasing remaining pressure. Remove lentils.
- In Instant Pot, add spaghetti squash and water. Twist lid to seal.
- Select MANUAL function; set timer for 7 minutes. Carefully release pressure. Remove squash and discard water.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, pulse walnuts until finely chopped. Add cooked lentils, flaxseeds and coconut flour. Pulse until combined but not completely smooth. Form mixture into 1½-2” balls; arrange on prepared pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly browned on bottoms.
- Use fork to separate squash strands. Serve “meatballs” and marinara sauce on top of squash.