Velouté d’Asperges (Cream of Asparagus Soup)
This soup can be made with either green or white asparagus. If you use the white ones, make sure you peel them well.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. asparagus
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 8 leaves fresh parsley
- Peel the asparagus (only slightly if you’re using green asparagus), cut off about 2 inches of the tips, put them in a bowl, and reserve. Cut off the bottom of each asparagus (about 1") and discard. Then dice the rest of the asparagus spears.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and chicken stock, bring to a boil over high heat, and add the diced asparagus and the asparagus tips. Boil for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, take the diced asparagus and the tips out. Reserve in two different bowls. Remove saucepan with the remaining broth from heat.
- Fill another saucepan with sour cream, and add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir well. The cream should reduce to about a third.
- Pour the diced asparagus in a blender. Add one cup of the broth from the saucepan, and process until very smooth. Add the purée to the sour cream mixture whisk well, then simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time and making sure it never boils. Just before serving, warm the asparagus tips by stirring them in melted butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Serve in individual bowls, adding two parsley leaves and some asparagus tips on top of each bowl.