Velouté d’Asperges (Cream of Asparagus Soup)
Save to My Recipes
This soup can be made with either green or white asparagus. If you use the white ones, make sure you peel them well.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutes
- 2 lbs. asparagus
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 8 leaves fresh chervil (or parsley)
- Peel the asparagus (only slightly if you’re using green asparagus), cut off about 2 inches of the tips, put them in a bowl, and reserve. Cut off the bottom of each asparagus (about 1") and discard. Then dice the rest of the asparagus spears.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and chicken stock, bring to a boil over high heat, and add the diced asparagus and the asparagus tips. Boil for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, take the diced asparagus and the tips out. Reserve in two different bowls. Remove saucepan with the remaining broth from heat.
- Fill another saucepan with sour cream, and add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir well. The cream should reduce to about a third.
- Pour the diced asparagus in a blender. Add one cup of the broth from the saucepan, and process until very smooth. Add the purée to the sour cream mixture whisk well, then simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time and making sure it never boils. Just before serving, warm the asparagus tips by stirring them in melted butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Serve in individual bowls, adding two chervil leaves and some asparagus tips on top of each bowl.