Velouté de Champignons (Cream of Mushroom Soup)
Cream of mushroom soup is a very common and popular winter soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. mushrooms (half diced, half undiced)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced, and 4 parsley sprigs
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup crème fraîche or crema Mexicana
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Espelette pepper or paprika
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the diced shallot, stir well, and cook for around 5 minutes. Add diced mushrooms to the shallots. Stir well. Meanwhile, put the other half of the mushrooms (undiced) in a bowl, and sprinkle lemon juice on them so that they won’t get brown.
- Add garlic and parsley to the pan of mushrooms. Reduce the heat to low and cook for around 5 minutes, until the mushrooms get really soft.
- Pour in the white wine and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let the wine reduce to about half, then add the chicken stock and the water and bring back to a boil over high heat. Add the rest of the mushrooms, stir well, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour everything into a blender and process until smooth, around 2 minutes. Pour back in the saucepan, add the cream, whisk well, and add salt, black pepper, and Espelette pepper. Simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Serve with a sprig of parsley in each bowl.