Vermont Sweet Potato Casserole
Substitute canned yams if you’re short on time—use 4 cups canned yams (drained).
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
- ⅔ cup low-fat milk, scalded
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water until very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, and the nutmeg. Spray a 9" × 13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the potato mixture into casserole dish and smooth with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, toss breadcrumbs, pepper, and melted butter together. Scatter evenly over the potatoes. Bake for 40 minutes on top rack of oven, or until the topping appears brown and crispy. Garnish with thyme leaves before serving.