Vicentas O-riginal Fried Fish
“O” how we love these O-shaped, fried fish bites. Paired with fried plantations, avocado and a flavorful tomato and pepper sofrito, this meal is “O”-mazing.
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups Mazola® Vegetable Oil*
- 8 Kroger Brand Wild Caught Whiting Fillets, thawed
- 2 teaspoons Kroger Brand Salt
- 1 teaspoon Kroger Brand Black Pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- 1⁄4 cup Kroger Brand All-Purpose Flour
- 4 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1” slices
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth™ Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- * Availability varies by store
- Rinse fish in cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt, black pepper and lime juice. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Coat fish with flour. Using toothpicks, shape each fish fillet into an "O".
- In pot over medium-high heat, heat 2 cups of vegetable oil for 4 minutes. Carefully drop in fish fillets, standing back in case of splatter. Set heat to low-medium; let fry 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- In separate pan over medium to medium-high heat, heat remaining vegetable oil for 4 minutes. Drop in plantains, 10 slices at a time, turning them every 2 to 3 minutes. Cook until golden brown. Reserve on paper towel to drain.
- Gently flatten dried plantations till they are about ½” thick. Return to hot oil; fry 1 minute. Remove, drain and season with salt.
- Sauté together garlic, peppers and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add broth and deglaze pan.
- To serve, pair fish with fried plantains, avocado, sofrito mix and lime wedges.