Vietnamese Style Chicken Lettuce Cups
These cool, crisp lettuce cups are filled with savory chicken and vegetable filling. If you like you can use crumbled firm tofu for a vegetarian version.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans (8 oz.) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sriracha sauce
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 16 iceberg lettuce leaves, chilled
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, crumbling meat, until well browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add remaining oil. Once hot add garlic, ginger, carrot, mushrooms, and water chestnuts. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are starting to soften and are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon fish sauce and stir well. Add the chicken back to skillet and cook until chicken is hot, about 2 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl and top with cilantro and peanuts.
- In a small bowl combine remaining fish sauce , hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, and lime juice and whisk to combine. Serve chicken mixture scooped into lettuce leaves and topped with sauce.