Virginia Ham Biscuits
Nothing accompanies a plate of scrambled eggs better than these hammy biscuits. Add a handful of cheese if you’re feeling really decadent.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced ham
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, sift together flour, nutmeg, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in butter until it is broken down into pea-sized pieces, then add ham.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and pour in wet ingredients. Using a fork, blend until dough just comes together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and fold dough over onto itself 6 to 8 times. (Be careful not to knead or overwork.) Pat out to 1-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1⁄2-inch circles using a floured round cutter. Place biscuits 2 inches apart on prepared pan and set aside to rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix together mustard and cream, and brush generously onto biscuits.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Turn pan halfway through baking to promote even browning.