Waffled Grits with Jalapeño-Cheese Dip
Enjoy grits as you’ve never had them before – cooked up into waffle fries! This unique dish is served alongside a queso-like jalapeño dip to add an extra kick to this basic Southern staple. If you have any left over, it’s great with tortilla chips as well.
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups Original Quick Grits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, plus additional melted butter for greasing waffle iron
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2⁄3 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Whisk in grits and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes until thickened.
- Heat waffle iron. Brush cooking surfaces with melted butter. Add batter (grits) according to manufacturer’s directions. Cook slightly longer than directed until lightly browned. (Exact timing depends on type of waffle iron.)
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, melt 1½ tablespoon butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and garlic powder. Add jalapeño; cook, stirring, 1 minute until jalapeño starts to soften. Slowly add milk, whisking until smooth. Gradually add cheese, stirring, 2 minutes until cheese is completely melted. Serve warm with waffled grits.