Waffles with Cranberry-Apple Compote
These cinnamon-spiced waffles work perfectly with the sweet-and-tart compote and are a great way to start the day.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1 cup cranberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup, plus 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a medium saucepan, simmer the apple, cranberries, and sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron. In a small bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg white until stiff. In another bowl, beat the egg yolk well and mix in the melted butter and milk.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir the baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon into the flour, blending thoroughly.
- Make a “well” in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour the beaten egg mixture into the well and stir into the dry ingredients. The batter should resemble a muffin batter. Gently fold in the egg white.
- Cook the waffles according to the instructions on the waffle iron. Serve topped with cranberry-apple compote.