Walnut Asparagus “Egg” Rolls
It’s not traditional, but it’s certainly delicious. Spring roll wrappers or wonton wrappers are just fine if you can’t find eggless egg roll wraps.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1⁄2 small onion, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 15 vegan egg roll wrappers
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Steam the asparagus until crisp-tender, then chop into 1⁄2-inch slices.
- Mash together the asparagus with the avocados, onion, lime juice, soy sauce, chipotle, walnuts, and cilantro. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling in each wrapper. Fold the bottom up, then fold the sides in, and roll, wetting the edges with water to help it stick together.
- Heat oil in a deep-sided frying pan or Dutch oven to 350°F. Fry rolls hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.