Walnut Asparagus “Egg” Rolls
It’s not traditional, but it’s certainly delicious. Spring roll wrappers or wonton wrappers are just fine if you can’t find eggless egg roll wraps.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- ½ small onion, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 15 vegan egg roll wrappers
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Steam the asparagus until crisp-tender, then chop into ½" slices.
- Mash together the asparagus with the avocados, onion, lime juice, soy sauce, chipotle, walnuts, and cilantro. Place 2–3 tablespoons of filling in each wrapper. Fold the bottom up, then fold the sides in, and roll, wetting the edges with water to help it stick together.
- Heat oil in a deep-sided frying pan or Dutch oven to 350°F. Fry rolls hot oil for 1–2 minutes on each side.