Walnut Blondie Bars
Blondies are the vanilla version of a classic chocolate brownie. These blondies have a thick, chewy cookie bar base made of healthy spelt flour and coconut sugar. Sprinkle 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips over bars when they are warm to create a chocolate chip cookie flavor if desired.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut sugar
- 3⁄4 cup powdered honey
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a glass 7-by-11-inch baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add melted and cooled butter, molasses, coconut sugar, and powdered honey. Mix well until combined. Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Stir until incorporated. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared dish. Bake for 35 minutes, or until browned, covering with foil halfway into baking. Be careful not to overbake. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into bars.