Walnut Coffee Cake
Cinnamon and nuts are in every bite of this tasty breakfast favorite!
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Egg replacement equal to 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add soy milk and vanilla extract and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat for 2 minutes. Add egg replacement and beat for 2 more minutes. Spread half of batter in a greased and floured 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. Sprinkle half the walnut mixture over the top of the batter in the pan. Add remaining batter and sprinkle with the rest of the walnut mixture on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.