These treats are moist, gooey, and delicious. For a special occasion, serve these warm with a dollop of your favorite vegan whipped topping, or a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ cup cold vegan margarine
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour an 8" × 8" baking pan.
- Combine dates, ½ cup brown sugar, and orange juice in a saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium-low heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes to thicken, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, then stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Cut margarine into pieces and combine with flour mixture until crumbly. Press ½ of the flour mixture into the bottom of the baking pan to form the crust.
- Sprinkle walnuts in an even layer and lightly press into the crust. Spread the date mixture over the crust and then top with the remaining flour mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Place pan on wire rack to cool. Cut into squares to serve.