Fried like fritters, this bread stands out with the savory addition of potato and onion.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups canola oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and grated
- In a large, high-sided, heavy skillet, heat oil to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Make a well in the center. Add milk, onion, and potato to the dry ingredients; mix until just combined.
- Drop batter by heaping spoonfuls (about ¼ cup) into hot oil, and cook until golden brown, about 1–2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.