Warm Potato Salad with Balsamic Vinegar and Onions
This substantial main-course salad is highly adaptable. Serve it atop fresh spinach leaves in the springtime for a hearty lunch, or beside scrambled eggs for a winter breakfast.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. crushed mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb. small white potatoes, peeled, halved, and boiled until very tender
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped chives
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium skillet for 1 minute; add onions, mustard seeds, and sugar. Cook slowly, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon, until onions are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar; remove from heat. Toss gently with warm cooked potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving, and garnish with chives.